This Strategic Plan commits us to move with agility in response to opportunities and to set the standard for elementary education in the Greater Los Angeles area and beyond. We do it to realize our Vision of inspiring engaged, healthy, and empathetic young learners to embrace the next phases of their education and lives with joy, confidence, and purpose.
This Strategic Plan is the culmination of over a year of work. Our plan hinges around commitments to four learning outcomes for our students, articulated in terms of literacies: intellectual, human, wellness, and cultural.
Through teaching and learning excellence, how do we further instill the communication, work habits, habits of mind, knowledge, and resilience needed for success in the next stage of our students’ lives?
Our students will have the ability and agility to see and make meaning out of information in both a reflective and innovative way.
WE COMMIT TO:
- fully integrating a DK-6th-grade curriculum and assessment philosophy through which students develop skills to effortlessly shift between disciplines and demonstrate their learning through a variety of forward-thinking measurements of academic and social competencies.
- teaching excellence in every classroom and to engaging faculty in a collaborative structure that supports individual, professional, and institutional growth.
- empowering learners to effectively use technology as both creators and consumers.
- creating flexible, state-of-the-art spaces for learning, making, and creating.
- creating a culture where parents and alumni networks understand and engage with the curricular priorities of the school.
- identifying and creating non-tuition sources of revenue to ensure master teaching excellence in every classroom.
How can we develop in our students the ability to know and understand the impact their actions have on others, and to be an empathic decision maker?
Our students will have the ability to understand their own emotions, listen to others and empathize with their emotions, and express emotions productively in order to understand and connect with other human beings.
WE COMMIT TO:
- developing a curriculum where social emotional education and effective assessment tools emphasize development of emotional skills and that demonstrates each student’s individual growth and emotional competencies.
- providing professional development that creates a shared language and understanding of our community values and ensures we can support our students’ social and emotional needs.
- cultivating our students’ skills and competencies in creating and managing their digital identities.
- welcoming and nurturing spaces that balance community and learning.
- diversifying and supporting our community of unique and valuable voices and backgrounds.
- prioritizing and allocating finances to support socio-economic diversity in our community in our efforts to develop greater empathy amongst all students from all backgrounds.
How can students develop life-long habits of health, balance, and wellness?
Our students will develop the ability to be aware of, and have the skills to make choices that lead to, healthy mental and physical well-being.
WE COMMIT TO:
- supporting our students’ well-being by building upon and diversifying an intentionally sequenced Health and Wellness Education program.
- staffing to ensure the integration of wellness education into all-school programming.
- teaching and modeling the importance of a healthy and productive digital lifestyle and footprint.
- optimizing spaces for physical and mental health, well-being, and learning, including the enhancement of garden space.
- growing a robust and innovative parent education program that uses the latest research on neuroscience, child development, technology, and education to ensure the health and wellness of our students.
- evaluating fundraising capacities and programming to ensure a robust capital campaign to support future capital projects.
How do we continue to foster a community that is culturally and globally inclusive and engaged?
Our students will develop the ability to communicate across cultures and boundaries in order to interact fluidly among people of different social, ethnic, and economic backgrounds.
WE COMMIT TO:
- expanding our language program, formally implementing an anti-bias curriculum, and continuing to develop an experiential education program that challenges students to broaden their perspectives and understanding of the world they live in.
- creating a holistic enrollment management model that attracts, retains, and supports a community as diverse as the Los Angeles community.
- empowering students to use technology as a tool for civic engagement and narrative change by understanding the intersection of technology and social justice.
- sustaining a campus that integrates 21st century learning skills, is accessible to relevant community organizations, and models the best practices in environmental stewardship.
- creating partnerships and networks that expand our community’s worldview and self-understanding, including expanded options for providing support to the school.
- identifying new sources of funding to sustain a diverse learning environment that cultivates cultural competency skills and a global mindset.
This bold plan is only possible because of our community’s shared values and commitment to Curtis School. Thank you. We look forward to a future with you.
How can you support us?
Visit curtisschool.org/give to support our school’s Mission and Vision. If you would like more information about giving to Curtis, please contact Corinne Schulman, Director of Advancement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.